Are you suffering from exposure to secondhand smoke in your apartment, townhome, condo or mobile home park? There are resources to help you.
Steps to Take
- Write down what is happening so you can explain it to your landlord. How and why is secondhand smoke getting into your home? How is it affecting your health?
- Talk to your neighbors to find out if they are being affected too.
- See a doctor. Have them document that your health is being impacted by exposure to secondhand smoke in your home. Download a Sample Letter.
- Talk to your landlord. Before you approach them, have some ideas about how you want the problem resolved. Some ideas include:
• Moving to another unit away from smokers
• Getting repairs or changes to your unit to stop smoke from getting in
• Create a smoke-free policy for indoor and outdoor common areas
• Make some, or all the units smoke-free
• Make one building smoke-free
- Follow the Take Action steps and contact your elected official. Share with them your story and let them know you want smoke-free multi-unit housing in your community.
- Research your legal options. To learn more read Legal Options for Tenants Suffering from Drifting Tobacco Smoke1 & Legal Options for Tenants Suffering from Drifting Tobacco Smoke2
Need more help? Contact the agency listed in your area.
Request Reasonable Accommodation
If you have a disability (such as a respiratory condition, chronic lung disease or disabling illnesses made worse by secondhand smoke) you have legal rights under state and federal fair housing laws. Under these laws, people with disabilities have the right to reasonable accommodation.
To learn more about how to request reasonable accommodation read How Disability Laws Can Help Tenants Suffering from Drifting Tobacco Smoke1 and How Disability Laws Can Help Tenants Suffering from Drifting Tobacco Smoke2 and download Sample Demand Letter.
Find A Smokefree Apartment
If you would like to move to an apartment where smoking is not allowed, the instructions on the following brochure will help guide your search.
How To Find An Apartment With A No Smoking Policy in the County of San Diego
Como encontrar un apartamento con política que prohibe el fumar en el condado de San Diego